Global Roto-Moulding is an industry leader
in rotational moulded plastic in an
ABOUT ROTATIONAL MOULDING
THE INNOVATIVE FABRICATION OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS
PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF THE DESIGN AND APPLICATION OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS.
Rotational moulding (or rotomoulding) has grown in popularity for creating any number of plastic products, with tanks and containers being the most prominent. However with experience and innovative design, practically any product that is hollow can be made using this process.
Rotomoulding is a process of plastic fabrication, where a plastic is melted until it takes the shape of a mould. The mould is heated in an oven, and rotated until the melted plastic lines the inside of the mould.
The process is fairly straight-forward, yet take years to perfect. Design principles differ to fabricating with metals, so we’re often approached with product concept ideas and work with customers to design using plastic. Once designed, the rotational method produces complex shapes (such as tanks or mud guards) that are strong, lightweight, easy to replicate, and above all, cost-effective.
Moulds and Materials
Precise tooling for quality products
Moulds are the ‘tool’ of the project, and it should not be underestimate the importance of good quality tools. Fabrication of the tool is often the biggest investment in the process, especially for complex shapes, due largely to the need for the pattern. Once the pattern is known however, they are easy and affordable to replicate using this very precise method.
Complex shapes usually require fabricating cast aluminum moulds, while larger shapes like industrial fluid tanks would be made from a sheet metal mould. For a polished-look to the product, the moulds themselves can be finished with a fine gloss, textured, or left unfinished depending on the application of the final product.
Unlike injection moulds, rotational moulds are much cheaper to make as they operate under less pressure. Inside the mould, the plastic is heated and rotated. As the plastic melts it forms a pool at the bottom of the mould, and begins to stick to and coat the inside as the mould is rotated. With careful design and engineering, exceptional thicknesses control can be achieved using this method.
The perfect material for rotational moulding
Polyethylene is well suited to the process of rotomoulding, and for many years have been the most practical and economic. The ability to stay stable during the prolonged heating process and its flow characteristics that lead to uniform thickness inside the mould is why it remains the most popular plastic for rotomoulding.
The polyethylene is divided into three categories: low, medium, and high. Previously, higher density plastic products stronger products, but the trade-off was less impact strength and stress-crack resistance. Today, low-density polyethylene is both stiff and strong while retaining its tough and stress crack resistance.
The end results is a wide range of products that can be made from rotomoulded plastic. While the process is best known for making tanks, many designers now use it to create plastic parts for medical products, consumer products, agricultural and garden equipment, automotive components, toys, furniture and sporting equipment. Innovation is constant, especially here at Global, and new uses and market sectors are constantly evolving.
- The whole experience dealing with yourself and the Global Rotomoulding team has been outstanding from the outset. When we complete the fit out of the unit I’ll send you a photo. Steve
- Also we would just like to say the service provided by everyone involved with this purchase was exceptional so thank you to everyone concerned and we highly recommend your business. Kind regards, Helen and Dale
- Dan delivered our new tank yesterday afternoon on his way home. He was very efficient. The new tank looks great! I would like to take this opportunity to thank you & your colleagues for helping me with my purchase. I will certainly recommend you. Many thanks, Peter
- I was very impressed with your delivery gentlemen and how he managed to get the tank into place all on his own. Kind Regards, Lauren
- The delivery person was absolutely wonderful. I need the help and he gladly gave. I am very grateful. Neralee
- Just to let you know the tank was received today and to thank Steve the driver for managing to get the truck up the driveway and taking the time to unhook his trailer and move the tank to the truck to make it possible. Much appreciated. Regards, Rob
- Very happy with the quality of the tanks and the delivery and installation was very professional as well. Could not be happier with the service. Regards, Pam
- The tank was delivered yesterday as planned, the driver was outstanding and deserves to be recognised, he was polite and more then helpful, service is very hard to find, your driver delivered service that is rarely seen these days. Thanks, mark
- Dan contacted me and all sorted re delivery. Really appreciate your responsiveness and willingness to help. Over and above my expectations! Thanks, Karl